Sunday, March 27, 2011

La Caja China Test Q!

  The last day of winter 2011 could not come too soon. This has been one of the snowier winters I have seen since moving to the Emerald Isle of the east coast almost 15 years ago. So, to celebrate the end of winter and welcome spring, I decided to fire up the new La Caja China. This is our new addition to the outdoor cooking arsenal and I will say right off the bat, this thing is very cool!
  For this test run, the second for the Caja China, it had to be whole hog. Two weeks ago we cooked up four 8 pound pork shoulders, just to see how the unit performed. After watching numerous videos of folks roasting the entire porker, I knew there was no time to waste.
  The whole hog test was done with a smallish, 55 pounder which was injected with a combination of OJ, Pineapple juice and Tango Spice Chik N' Rib Rub. The rub was also used to coat both inside and outside before being placed into the Caja China.
  As the Caja China gets more use here in the test kitchen we will give more reviews and post a video or two as well. For now I just have to say the Caja China lives up to its billing. It is a fun unit to have and experiment with. One of the chief complaints I have read about is that the pork did not have that 'smoked' flavor like you get from a smoker. Well, I went into this knowing that the Caja China is not a smoker, and I was roasting a whole hog. There is a smoker attachment I have seen, but that might be for another time. My main goal here was to roast a pig and see if it could actually be done in 4 hours.
  Yeah Man, it can be and it turns out incredible! The taste is amazing. Following the instructions on the box or the roasting sheet available on their website results in a perfect pig! If I want some smoked pork shoulder, I will fire up the Brinkman and smoke some shoulder. If I want to roast a 75 pound pig and not spend a day and a half doing it, I will fire up the Caja China. 
  Of course, there are so many other cuts or whole animals besides whole hog that can be done this way and will be done this way. Every time we fire this baby up we will let ya know how the meal came out.
  For now, I am very pleased with the way the magic box works!
  For more info go to the following link.


  Here are a few pics from the roast. It was a great experience, and a good time was had by all. Everyone ate their fill and is now asking when the next roast will be. Soon, very soon!

Lil' Smokey Presents Our 3 Ingredient Injection.

Ready To Roast!

Inject Full Of Spicy Goodness!

Into The Caja China!

Gentlemen, Light Your Coals!

Smokey Likes!

Ready For The Turn!

Once Turned Over, Slice Into The Skin

Yeah Man! Looking Tasty!

Let's Get Ready To Eat!

Yes, I Think They Enjoy It!

Plenty For Everyone!

A Little Fire To Ward Off The Chill!


6 comments:

  1. That is so cool, wish I was there! I saw the Caja China on one of Bobby Flay's Throw-down episodes. He went up against the the guy who invented it. It looked like a great way to cook a whole hog, I really wanted to buy one but couldn't justify it. I'm sure it will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, thanks for stopping by.
    Yeah, this is a very cool unit, and I am very pleased with it.
    One other thing very cool about it is that it is relatively light and I can load the Caja China in the back of a truck real easily and then take it to the beach for a luau.
    This will be much use for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to find good advice from your blog posts.
    alquiler de caja china en lima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Mark,
      I am glad that you enjoyed this post.

      Delete