Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cast Iron Pizza!


This past Sunday was a really nice day. After a few days of rain (what else is new?) the dawn was as cloudless as it could be. A slight breeze from the south meant we were in for a rather warm October day. I started to plan lunch a little early because I was going to try my hand at making pizza in a cast iron skillet.



I know that folks have probably been doing this for many years, but it is a new concept for me. There are two blogs where I had read about this method and I had saved both for future testing. Well, Sunday was the day! I will list the two blogs at the end, please go check them out!

Here are the ingredients which I put on the pizza crust.
A mixture of Restaurant Style brand bbq sauce & Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce
A heaping mound of baby back rib meat from a previous bbq
Fire roasted orange & yellow bell peppers
Fire roasted jalapeno peppers
Lots of fine shred cheddar cheese! 

As for the crust, a simple one will do nicely.

3/4 cup Lukewarm Water
1 TBS Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt
1 3/4 cups AP Flour
1/4 cup Semolina Flour
2 tsp Instant Yeast
1 tsp Baking Powder
Mix and knead all of the ingredients to make a smooth, pliable dough. Cover the dough and let it rise at room temperature for 30 minutes
This can also be put the refrigerator for a few hours or even overnight. 

While the dough was rising I roasted the peppers over a bed of hot coals. I like to slice the bell peppers before roasting them so both inside and out can get a good char on them. They turn out a little drier that way too, which I find better to work with and the seeds are already removed.
Also, this was the time to start the Sweet Home Pellet Grill and get it crankin' to 425 degrees.
Once the dough had risen I placed it in a 12 inch cast iron pan. I did lightly spray the pan with cooking spray. Once all of the ingredients were piled high it was time to heat the pan. This I placed on one of my butane stoves, set it to high and let it fire up for three minutes.
At the three minute mark it was onto the pellet grill.
18 minutes later it was done. I let it cool a little, slid it out of the pan and enjoyed a super lunch!
This method is good indoors as well, so you can use your stove and oven.
Please give this a try, then let me know how you enjoyed it!

Here are two blogs for your reading pleasure...



As Always, Thank You For Reading!
www.tangospice.com
www.youtube.com/TangoSpiceCompany





No comments:

Post a Comment