Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Beef Ribs On The WSM

I just wanted to share a few pics from a beef rib cook I did this past Sunday. This is more about the Food pRon than a 'how I cooked it'.

For those of you who have BBQ'd beef ribs the toughest part about it is usually not being able to fine them. Most grocery store that have a decent butcher shop will not carry them, on rare occasions places like BJ's or COSTCO might have them, but that is hit or miss. Restaurant Depot has them quite often, but that is no help if you are not a member or the location is not very handy.

Lately I have found that some of the smaller chain groceries will have a much more rounded butcher shop. In our area here on Long Island there are a couple of these and they are relatively close to home. One such place is Giuntas Meat Farm. The name sure is one that would draw out the inner carnivore! I was in there for a few things, including the turkey legs from the last blog and saw they had beef short ribs and rib tips on sale. I asked if they would part with a rack of the ribs before they cut them down. Sure enough they just pulled a pack out of the cooler and asked how many I wanted. Looks like I have an outlet for beef ribs any time I am in the mood to smoke up a few bones. The butcher asked how I was going to be cooking them. When I told him that I was going to smoke it 'low and slow' he smiled, said 'hold on a sec' then gave the rack a great trim job. Once done he handed them over with knowing nod and said 'Enjoy'.

The rack I brought home was a three bone, 4.5 pound hunk of Bronto goodness. As the trimming was all done all I did was take off the membrane from the under side. Sometimes this is a tough job on beef ribs, but on this rack it was rather simple.

I did not marinate these, and I did not season them until right before I was going to put them on the Weber Smokey Mountain. The rub I used was our own Tango Spice Midnight Espresso. This we have found does an amazing job in beef cooks.

As beef ribs take as long as they are going to take and are done when they are done, I decided to get them in the WSM at 9 am on Sunday morning. If they took four hours, it was going to be ribs for lunch, over six hours, an early dinner.

One thing that I did during this cook was to keep a log of times, temps and vent opening percentage. I have not been too good at this record keeping and I think that it could have hurt me in lengthening my learning curve on how to control the cook. I will start to do this more often, perhaps publishing them for review as well.

The ribs went on at 9am and cooked for 6 hours, when at 3 pm I decided that they had had enough. There was a nice pull back of meat from the bone, the color was nice and dark & when probed the meat was very tender. I did place them in a double layer of foil and placed them in a cooler for 30 minute before cutting them.

So, here are some pics of the ribs during and after the cook, just some mouth watering goodness to savor until the next time Bronto Ribs are on the menu.

Enjoy!

Tango Joe

As Always, Thank You For Reading!

Nice Pull Back At The Five Hour Mark

Same Taters, Radish & Red Onion In The Pan

These Two Just Go Together So Well

First Place Winner 2013 Fiery Foods Challenge

Getting Hungry Again!

Yep, Looks Darn Tasty

Juicy, Tender & Aromatic

Money Shot


4 comments:

  1. Joe, the best beef ribs I ever seen! Great photos & congrats on the trophy. After Christmas I have to try some of your spices & rubs! Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Don, this is the forth time I have cooked up beef ribs and they were the best yet.
    They will definitely be back on the menu soon.

    ReplyDelete